Friday, February 1, 2008

Santago, Veraguas, Panama (the middle)

Got up at dawn and decided really cold hands were better than warm road kill so I headed out over the other 12,000 ft pass in central america before the big rigs started rolling - even they don't drive at night. Got over the pass and into the valleys for breakfast. Decided I was making good time so pressed on.
Hit the Panama border a little after noon and was relieved to find that it was the easiest yet. 90 minutes to get out of one and into the other.
The scenery changes bit it is just as spectacular as Costa Rica.
Tried to pay my ticket twice but banana republic politics proved the stronger force - one bank just said no because I must wait at least 5 days and the other said I didn't come with three copies and wouldn't allow me to pay - so what? now I'm a fugitive over a $10 speeding ticket and can never return! EVER!
Tried to make it to the coast this evening but the sun started down... I will likely speed into the capital tomorrow AM to get details about shipping Mr. Moto. If they can get it out over the weekend then good - but I suspect Monday so I'll look for tires and likely run over to Mar Caribe for the weekend.
Got stopped at checkpoints twice - there are two types:
Come to stop, look confused, they ask where you from?, where you going?, make some noises to each other then finally say, "alone?", I say yes, they look astonished and make comments about large breakfast food items. Then they want to chat and look at the bike - if you take the helmet off this goes on too long - turn the motor off, don't take the helmet/glasses off.
The other is the "show me your papers" because I'm very important and have serious questions interrogation routine - here I just continue with step one - look confused and repeat - no intendee,,, excuse me, no habla spanish... It only takes about 45 seconds of moron-speak until they wave me through in disgust. Each results in the some outcome.
Saw a bunch of huge lizards sunning themselves on the early-morning road (but not a lot of splatter spots so they must sense the danger danger - how would Darwin explain that...?)
A Beautiful Day,
Nick
via BlackBerry