Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ignorance is Miserable! Chaljuanca, Los Andes, between Nazca and Cuzcu

Flew over the lines - a little underwriting was the consensus the night before talking to those who had done flight and I agree. Need to see the images I shot in full size. The lines are great, the flight was a tediously staged event that was 90 minutes late - but you have to do it and they know it all to well.
Left the hot desert floor and immediately began climbing - had to add a layer of cloths at 46 km and 20 minutes later I added everything I had. Then it started raining and the secondary road turned into a bumpy mud hole, and then it got worse - single track at about 15 mph for 45 minutes as I passed through the clouds - then it fools you an it gets nice for awhile... Made good time but cold at 4000 meters (13000 ft) and then it starts snowing - and I forgot my snow tires and arctic cloths for my south-america-in-the-summer trip - silly me!
Too late to turn around so I press on - for hours - at 4550 meters (15,000 ft). Incredibly, the bike has great power and handling up here.
Were I to do it again I would park the moto and fly over as an excursion.
I stopped at a little village to warm up and take a foto and some guy wanders up, looks me and the bike over, and says "tres huevos" then wanders off.
I pressed on knowing I would make civilization before dark - ya right, but it depends on the definition of civilization. I never thought I'd be really happy to drop down to 3000 M altitude. It rained the entire time, it's raining now, it will rain tomorrow. Did I mention that the hotel has hot water but no heat?
I will put on everything I own that is dry and look for some better rain gear in the next town. I love my sleeping bag for times like this (there have been a few). Tried to give my tent away several times to backpackers - not needed - so I'll lug that anchor to argentina.
Sure seems like a xanax moment to me.
No data service so the pretty plane and blowing snow fotos will have to wait.
Nick
via BlackBerry