Thursday, February 14, 2008

Cuzco, Peru

Woke up early yesterday to the sounds of straining diesel engines but no rain and feeling like I had been embalmed with kerosene and then beaten with rubber hoses that had been filled with sand.
Couldn't bear the thought of food so I crammed into 5 layers of cloths, most dry, and headed out.
A glorious drive over good roads and great weather. Made it to Cuzco by 1:30, checked into a hotel and immediately fell asleep - didn't get up until this morning at 6 AM. Pretty sure I had a mild case of hypothermia after driving wet for hours at freezing temperatures - couldn't get warm until today. Finally saw llamas wandering the mountains.
Today I am taking the tour of the surrounding cities and countryside - tomorrow I go to Machu Picchu. The Inca Trail is closed for the month of february so I take the train (had wanted to hike it)
Attaching a few prior fotos and one of today hiking on the Incan Trail.
Nick
via BlackBerry