Sunday, February 17, 2008

La Paz, Bolivia

Crossed into Bolivia on a quiet Sunday afternoon - except I gotta get out of these mountains - I'm parked under a gas station canopy because the weather went from sunny and hot to a massive thunder and lightning storm, with downpour, in less than 15 minutes.
Bolivia has done what so many other south american countries have done - reciprocity with toe US. I knew but forgot that I needed a visa. At the border I got a stiff scolding and an explanation of all the various (7) requirements - I had them all covered (including my UN health document with current Yellow Fever certificate - that's the one that brings a $mile to their face) After some boot licking and a donation a solution was found. I now have a 5 year, multi-entry visa and my moto is legal.
After an hour wait with no relief I raised my wind screen to the max and pressed on - after 15 minutes the rain turned into hail - glorious! The roads are great and whoever designed the bypass route deserves an award - but I didn't have any bongos so I had to talk my way through 2 toll plazas (well, 1 the other I just ran)
Hopped off where GPS indicated city center - headed a couple blocks into older neighborhood, saw a nice looking hotel with attached garage and pulled in.
I just consumed a Bolivian month's allocation of hot water - simple things.
Picked up a city map and heading out to have a look around.
I think this is home for a few days.

Nick
via BlackBerry