Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Wandering La Paz

Yesterday morning I did the city tour followed by typical tourist sites (although I managed not to go into a single church).
Today I started off at the US embassy - where they efficiently processes my application for additional visa pages - I ran out so countries have been over stamping and they don't like that. Anyway, the embassy is this MASSIVE bomb-proof building in the middle of this walled compound - the double set of bomb-proof doors are so heavy I had to lean to open them (after going through a Bolivian National Police security checkpoint). I didn't know our national interests were so large in Bolivia. Right next door is the British Embassy in a building that looks like it would make a great pub - they had an "Open" sign at their entrance. See fotos.
Next I wandered up the mountain and spent the day in the old marketplace and still-active fruit/flower market. Later I found what the tourism industry calls the Whiches Market; I didn't know Bolivia was famous for its whiches but all the tourists (me included) were there and being given the chance to buy ground up things/stiff and desicated llama fetuses - I haven't a clue why but there they were.
I had some great street food - empanadas so spicy they would make a mexican blush - and yes, they had potatoes in them. I ended the day strolling the central promenade - I've done a lot of treking up and down the hills and thought that I was acclimated to the altitude but today I found myself panting and with little panic attacks several times. Tonight I'm going to try to find an Aussie bar called Boomerang.
Tomorrow morning I head out with destination Sucre.
Nick
via BlackBerry