Monday, February 11, 2008

Police Extorsion, Lima Peru

Driving south along the coast there is a great section of highway similar to I-5 in California; as I crested a hill there is an officer with a wand pulling over cars (but only nice cars, and me). Once stopped he systematically directs you to his partner, the grand pubah who sits on his truck and accuses you of something. In my case it was illegal passing, and then threatened to keep my documents and mail them to my embassy when I paid my fine. A solution was found when he suggested I could pay the fine directly. The foto is of the family who tried to help and later pulled over a couple miles later to make sure I was OK. Thanks! Turned out I didn't negotiated enough as I paid several times what they did for the same "crime".
Made it through Lima and then they closed the highway (?) so I pulled over at the first sign that said playa and found a little hotel on the beach.
Next stop Pisco where I plan to look around and spend a day.

Nick
via BlackBerry