Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bien Jugoso, Tucuman, Argentina

Woke up this morning to the sound of - RAIN. Rolled over and wished it away. By 10 it was still coming down steady so I grabbed an argentine breakfast (cafe con leche, media lunas, and that little orange juice) double up my cloths (all dirty) and went to get Mr. Moto - big surprise there, the back tire is flat again (they don't have Slime here; add that to the list of things to import). Figured it was more of those thorns from hell (that would be Bolivia) so I just aired it up and rode.
After about two hours of fast wet driving it started feeling a little loose - tire down to 12 psi - aired up again and in just over three hours of solid rain and driving about 120 kph I pulled into Tucuman.
Set the GPS to the tourist info office (why don't we have these?) and 15 minutes later I described the nicest hotel I could remember from last time and she booked it immediately -122 pesos ($38). Used an old David Goldberg trick: when you know you will need something, tip big on first encounter with staff. In this case I wanted clean cloths, an appointment with a Chiropractor, my tire fixed and reservations for a good parilla -and I want them... now - mission accomplished.
I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow early and a referral for Cordoba; ya' 6 weeks in the saddle is not good on the already-tweaked spine.
Turned out I had a thorn and a nail... Its cool to find tire repair shops open at 7:30 (but never on sunday).
I think Tucuman is my second favorite city in Arg.
Tomorrow is a long haul to Cordoba to visit friends I met on my first visit - let's all pray for rain.
Nick
via BlackBerry