Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Playa del Coco, Costa Rica

You know that imaginary line that runs between Tijuana and San Diego? Well, they put one down here too.
Everything changes, even the natural landscape, Costa Rica is aptly named and really beautiful.
First right that GPS said went to the coast I took. Wound up in a funky little place full of expats, locals and tourists of the boomer species.
The foto is of the third or 4th of many lines I didn't stand in - ya' I paid another 2 fixers - one to get me out of Nicaragua ($7) and the other to get me into Costa Rica ($20 + 20 to shake hands with the jefe of the border so he would personally walk my stuff to the front of two long lines) and it still took 90 minutes. I'm sure I wouldn't want to deal with Fatherland Security either.
I may run a little further south but I'm going to hang in CR for a couple days.
Saw 5 bikes heading north, none at any borders to talk with.

Nick
via BlackBerry