Monday, January 28, 2008

Managua, Nicaragua

Did a slow cruise through El Salvador this morning - detoured 20 k off road to a tiny fishing village at the southern-most tip; the tracks just ended and there was an old woman making pasteles from her front porch and people were bringing their own plates for take-out, so I stopped for lunch - 5 minutes later a couple kids came out - 15 minutes later ever boy between 6 and 12 within a mile was there. I let one climb on and they all needed a try - grandma just laughed. It was fun.
You can't see a smile from behind a full-face helmet so I've taken to big dopey waves - cops get the Richard Nixon peace sign which they seem to like 'cause they flash lights and wave back.
Leaving El Salvador was a breeze.
I wouldn't wish trying to get into Honduras on anyone - well, maybe our Dim Wit.
I thought I'd never pay one of the border vultures - today I paid and it was worth it. 5 different offices, 5 different fees, each needing a copy of something only available at the prior (trips to the copy kiosks) - no office marked and all pretending to be closed because it was Sunday. Then there was the fumigation process and the requisite bribe because the pump was broken... After the first 15 minute slow jerk I just gave my vulture my passport, all my docs and some money and told him to come get me when he needed more. They got me for about $45; he got me for 20 bucks - and it was worth it.
After that warm welcome I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when people threw garbage and bottles at me from the backs of trucks. I hit the after burner and didn't stop until I got to the opposite border (except for the 2 federal police check-points). At the Nicaraguan border people jokingly asked "so, how did you like Honduras" I guess my experience and reaction is common.
I kept the jets on and rolled into Managua - pulled into the first nice hotel and paid rack rate.. Going to check out the Lago de Nicaragua tomorrow.
A Long Day,
Nick
via BlackBerry