Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ahhh Acapulco!

Got up early for a half-day ride into Acapulco, you know, beautiful beaches, maybe watch a few practice dives from the cliffs and then kick back for a little treat. NOT!
Driving into town was like any other city here, they forgot to build the infrastructure and compounded because of the geography. I got stuck in a 2 hour traffic deadlock while baking in the sun. Did I mention that the highway is all unmarked city streets that wind around mountains so there's no logic - thankfully GPS was there but it wouldn't make the cars move. Anyway, I saw the famous cliffs and then headed for the bypass route.
Probably my bad but I can always do the all inclusive package in my walker.
Got pseudo-searched at 3 of the 4 checkpoints, they're stupid but non-invasive or threatening (as long as you don't mind children with guns). I thank them and head for the next chasis-wrecking speed bump; I counted about 90+ today.
Today was 492 LONG kilos. I thought I would get to arrive in the park region (per the map,,, and its twisty roads all day despite the map) but alas, Yosemite its not. I could use a day off of the saddle but unless I roll over a hidden bluff into paradise tomorrow I will just press on. Glad I brought a backup paperback because tonight its just a wide dusty spot in the road.
Saw no other adventure riders today - I've left my moto parked in a courtyard in front of the office of the nicest hotel in town (155 pesos) so hopefully someone like minded will spot it and want to ride together - I'm not holding my breath.

I'm in Beautiful Pinotepa Nacional, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Nick
via BlackBerry