Thursday, February 5, 2009

You guessed it, Mendoza

Ahhhh, Argentina!
Its a little rougher around the edges but softer where it counts.
It took longer than GPS thought - it has a hard time predicting country roads in agrarian countries - not to mention climbing over the Andies with a bazzillion trucks, but it was worth it.
At one point I climbed 5000 ft in about 8 miles of constant switch backs (and the foto was taken about 2/3 of the way up - incredible - and in about a 40 minute period I went from 1200 meters to 3200 meters (10,500 ft). I cleared customs at the top - a little problem brewing; they insisted I didn't need to do any paperwork to bring the bike in - I even hunted down and had a heated debate with the jefe of the aduana before he nearly threw me out - it will be interesting when I leave again.
The drop into the wine region at sunset was spectacular.
I checked into this little hotel just because of its charming looks and it turns out the owners are equally inviting - we all pushed Mr Moto through the lobby to the courtyard for safekeeping.
Later I was walking down the street about midnight and was drawn to the sound of classical tango being played on an accordion - went into the little resto where a music student was playing like it was a Juliard audition and was served THE best food I've had in a very long time.
Today I will find wine.
Nick
via BlackBerry