Sunday, February 1, 2009

Puyuhuapi to Chaiten

Left Puyuhuapi this morning - drove 15 km and was stopped by a road construction flag man who told me the road was closed until 2 PM. I chatted with fellow travelers and several of us wandered back up the road and found (in the middle of nowhere) a 5 star resort on a private lake. We sat and chatted for hours - I ended up talking to a well published photographer who just wanders the most remote places and then does a book - been doing it for 40 years... Not bad.
Did leisurely drive to Chalten I the pueblo in the path of the volcano that erupted 8 months ago. It's a ghost town now and still without water and power. I'm spending the night here and will catch the ferry over to Quellon in the morning. Decided to ride up to a remote beach and on the way back I came around a turn (probably too fast) and there were two riders on horses. I ended up fighting to keep it vertical in the gravel for 30 feet before gravity won and I ditched the bike into the foliage. No leaks from me or Mr. Moto but my nice new plastic needs another face lift - its a good thing I bought duct tape back wherever because its holding my windshield together. Its a good thing that I always wear all my protective gear and the moto has crash bars and armor. The riders helped me pull the bike back upright and off I went. The last 5 km of dirt got me.
Tomorrow is another day!
Nick
via BlackBerry