Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I am here - and I don't know why...

I cruised into Santiago last evening - set the GPS for the hotel and it got me there muy rapido. It was nice entering a capital city in the evening.
I'm getting tired of traveling so I thought I'd jump over to the coast to the little resort town of Valparaiso and rest for a few days and then head back into Santiago for the weekend (its only 107 km or 62 miles away) - Mistake! I guess I was expecting, I don't know, something like Santa Barbara or Carmel (or even Ensanada).
Turns out its not a sleepy little coastal town but a suburb of a large working port and navy base with pollution so bad you can't see the surrounding mountains. I'm having lunch on the pier and thinking that if this is it I'm out of here. I'll find a cybercafe and google this place to see if I missed a turn.
I just checked my handy-dandy GPS and it says I can be in Mendoza, Argentina in 4 hours, hmmm...

Nick
via BlackBerry