Monday, September 22, 2014

Alianca do Tocatins, on highway 153, in the middle of Brazil




I feel like I've finally arrived in Brazil - real people, real prices (as opposed to 17 dollar subway sandwiches). I pulled over at a wide spot in the road as the sun was going down after running the afterburners all day.  I made 700 km (420 miles) on a 2 lane highway heading north towards Belem.  Dinner was boiled mystery meat over rice - at least partly chicken because I could make out the feet in the mix.  There was a pan of something that looked like ginormous Lima beans but when I tried to eat one a woman hurried over and abjectly forbade me.  I still don't know what it was or how to eat it...
Its hot with nothing to do so people (and hungry pets) sit around outside chatting (hoping food will fall) while watching the road. 
Today I passed hundreds of miles of what had been sub-tropical forests that has been clear cut and burned; some still burning. 
I'm going to get up early and do it again tomorrow - I might try to sit out the hottest part of the day as the sun is brutal.  The plan is to get to the amazon region soonest and then slow down.