Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 27 - Villazon, Bolivia - a beautiful ride north, amazing vistas - and then there was la frontera...

We left the church in the central plaza of Salta this morning and drove an old single lane route north for 90 minutes before picking up the highway.
We stopped in several places I was immune to on my trip south - this really is gods country up here.
In a bit over four hours we went from 2,000 feet to almost 12,000 feet altitude. Our destination was to be a few hundred km into Bolivia except the Argentinos ran into a bureaucratic nightmare at the customs office - I cleared both aduanas an migraciones in 20 minutes - and then waited 90 minutes for my companions. Its a mystery...
The Bolivian immigration officer tried to change me the reciprocity fee of $135 until I proved I had a 5 year visa - no fees.
As I was waiting for the guys a taxi backed into my bike - bent my luggage rack - we yanked it off and bent it back but the tubing is cracked so we will try for a shop with a welder in the morning.
We found a really nice point3 star hotel and wandered down to the bus station for warm beer and pseudo-pizza for dinner - mm mm yummy!
Nick
via BlackBerry