Thursday, September 24, 2009

September 24, San Miguel de Tucuman - just a driving day.

I drove 714 uneventful kilometers north - arrived Tucuman about 30 minutes after dark. They're having some kind of celebration in al centro and the city center is cordoned off with police at every intersection so I pulled into a nice hotel a few blocks off the central plaza. I'll grab a shower and then wander in to see the sure-to-be-amazing sights.
I'm pretty spanked so I exercised the David Goldburg hotel rule - tip the bellman immediately & well and he'll take care of you - it worked. Within 5 minutes of delivering me to my room I had a couple mini bottles of fernet (an acquired taste, no doubt), some coke , a bucket of ice and an adapter for my phone charger. Not bad for 10 bongos.
My GPS saved my GeorgeBush today - I was over-optimistic and thought I might make it all the way to Salta when the sun started to disappear - I pushed a few buttons and it found 26 km of dirt road (hence the boring foto) that cut through nowhere allowing me to grab a back-roads-route into Tucuman - when you've got good maps and know how to use it (gps), its fantastic - neither was true when I came south 18 months ago. FYI, I ride with a Garmin Zumo 550 that's been attached to the bars for every mile I've had the bike - its seen more nasty roads, vibrations and freezing rain than any electronic thing should reasonably be expected to survive and has proven to be indestructible - so far...
Tomorrow I drive the last 304 km to Salta - Walter is on an 11 AM flight out of BsAs so the timing should be perfect.
Nick
via BlackBerry