Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back to Concordia - the Mesopatomia of Argentina (who knew?)

Did the grind back to Concordia - 660 km of medium to bad roads with construction along 60% of the route. They are building a true interstate system.
I'm convinced the cops in Entre Rios have a scam on - my GPS tells me when I'm crossing state lines so as I approached Entre Rios I dialed it back - sure enough, there is a check point just past the border and, true to form, I get signaled over for inspection. All the other checks today it's "where ya from" "where ya going", "have a good day" - at this check point the officers look at the bike, do a quick huddle, and a woman comes over; does she ask for license and title like and other document inspection? Nice try, Guess again... The first word out of her mouth is Seguro! She wants my proof of insurance, required by law, but which no foreigners have. When I reached into my wallet and pulled out my certificate she went bug-eyes, checked it against the bike, and then shouted over to her co-conspirators (in shock) - he has it! The jefe (boss) waved her off and she gave me my card, waved me off, turned around and stomped off. I smiled, cursed, and twisted throttle.
I'll say it again - I don't understand why they tollerate the police-state mentality on their roads.
BTW, Getting insurance took me, working with local friends making calls, two days. Then, when I got the policy in the mail several weeks later about 50% of the lines which had customer data were wrong and it took two trips and several faxed documents and several weeks more to correct the policy. Needless to say, when I renewed, I didn't shop the policy.
I'm back at the great parrilla I visited on the way north but changed hotels to one with a star (1) - likely issued in the 40's - but at least they had a room with something larger than a child's bed - the first place I checked into didn't, so I left .
Tomorrow I cross into Uruguay and run down the river to the old port of Colonia where I will catch the ferry to Buenos Aires. Its a longer day than staying in Argentina but Mr. Moto needs new papers and leaving the country is the easiest way to get them. I'm not looking forward to two international borders but when in Rome... play by their rules and smile (or leave, because it just doesn't pay to buck the system).
It's too bad I'm home tomorrow because I've just got all my moto-muscles in shape (well, almost; now I remember why I spent the $ on the custom seat, which I brought back to the USofA - stupid).
I'm also wondering why I've never seen Pamplona Chicken on a menu anywhere else? Try it!

Nick
via BlackBerry