Sunday, October 21, 2012

Early Start - heading for the US border.



Sunrise!
Rode until dusk last night.  Didn't quite make it as far as I had hoped and got stuck in the middle of the desert.  I was tired and didn't want to press my luck driving through the coastal range mountains at night.   Turns out that there was only one hotel stuck in the middle of nowhere (Catavina - to be avoided) and I paid more for lodging there than the resorts in Las Cabos - Asi la vida.

I was up early and heading for the border.




It turns out that the tea-baggers might have won.  Just north of El Rosario they relocated part of the Imperial Valley and all the workers that used to live there.  There are fields of cabbage, and greens for miles and the greenhouses can be seen from space - HUGE GREENHOUSES - just add water.  It's no coincidence that this place is just about 6 hours form the border with lots of trailers with California plates running around.



I did a cut and paste of the trip. The GPS collage shows the summary: 2890 miles down and back to Santa Barbara in  51.5 hours at 56 miles per hour.