Friday, August 15, 2008

4 Stars in Montevideo

I completed my after-burner run south; arrived MVD just after sunset.
Yesterday I asked a local friend with good taste(y) to send me a couple links for a nice hotel in the city- but not downtown. He sent me a couple links, both to the same hotel... Ask and ye shall receive. Anyway, I roll into town looking like death on a cracker and I'm cruising the malicon when I see a Grand hotel - so I whip it into their entrance thinking to get directions... Not necessary, this is the place; except they have rates published at reception and I'm not paying them. I ask chico con leche at reception to make some call for me because I'm doing moto diaries and just don't need 4 stars. He does, everyplace close is sold out so he cuts the price by 50% and I move in.

Yesterday I stayed in a DUMP, your basic negative one star hotel. I knew I was in trouble when I could see the bus station from my window.
The first week of riding is harder than 4 hours a day in the gym! Today was no exception; 10 hours in the saddle and I'm checking out the mini-bar. Probably a personal record for the most kilometers covered in a single day (down here that earns you a premium because they seem to be tougher). Nevermind that I also had an international border and the two respective (albiet easy) tax offices.
Tomorrow I will likely finish this segment and cross the river heading south.

Its tomorrow - and I'm in Colonia with a ticket on the fast barge accross the pond.
Nick
via BlackBerry